As the COVID-19 situation continues to present serious constraints on travel, gatherings and the ability to gain sponsorship, there is ongoing discussions between AMA, the Local Organising Committee and the ACT Masters Athletics Club about whether the championships can go ahead. It has been agreed that a final decision on whether to hold the championships in March 2021 will be made at a combined meeting scheduled for 16 December 2020.
Considerations will include the status of COVID-19 restrictions and the financial viability of conducting the championships with reduced numbers due to state borders still closed or with conditional travel. Matters under consideration include a bare-bones championships with no medals at event (posted afterwards), modified program with less events, no printed athletes handbook and no social events.
Pending further advice, registrations will open on 4 January 2021 and close at 11.59pm on 14 Feb 2021.